Nikos has a wide-ranging experience in international investment law and international treaty arbitration under the main arbitration rules (ICSID, UNCITRAL, SCC).
He acts as legal advisor mainly to Dutch and foreign corporations and investors, who wish to bring arbitration proceedings against States on the basis of Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs) and Free Trade Agreements (FTAs).
He is also available for appointments as Arbitrator and Mediator. He is listed as Arbitrator and Mediator for the Vienna International Arbitration Centre (VIAC), Mediator for the Energy Community and Mediator for the Asia International Arbitration Centre (AIAC).
Besides, he is regularly involved in court proceedings in connection with high profile arbitration disputes concerning the enforcement and the setting aside of arbitral awards and interim measures before Dutch courts.
Examples of Nikos representation as legal advisor (or as part of another law firm’s team that represented the clients) are:
• a Dutch B.V. in an investment arbitration dispute against Russia under the Netherlands- Russia BIT;
• a US company in setting aside proceedings against Ecuador in relation to multiple arbitral awards rendered against Ecuador;
• several European photovoltaic SMEs in investment arbitration disputes against the Czech Republic under several BITs and the ECT;
• a Dutch B.V. in an investment arbitration dispute against the Czech Republic under the Netherlands-Czech BIT;
• a Dutch B.V. in an investment arbitration dispute against the Slovak Republic;
• several investors against Russia in the context of the annexation of Crimea.
Nikos also regularly provides legal opinions on the relationship between EU law and BITs and the ECT.
He also advises on (re)structuring investments for obtaining and/or maintaining optimal investment protection.
As guest Professor in International Investment Law at the Brussels Diplomatic Academy of the Free University Brussels he teaches current developments of international investment law and arbitration.
He is also founder and Co-Editor-in-Chief of the European Investment Law and Arbitration Review, which is published annually by Brill – Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.
Nikos is frequently invited as speaker at international conferences, seminars and trainings on various topics of international investment law and arbitration and their interaction with EU law.